Friday, November 11, 2011

The Unsung Heros by Lynn de Vries

Trails are the main stay of our very existence as trail riders. If you are luck like I am, you will have a dedicated trail volunteer in your area. If you ride the areas of Grace Road in Chemainus, Spruston Road in Nanaimo, or Copper Canyon, more than likely you are riding on trails that have been kept open by Bruce Christison. I first met Bruce way back in the early 90’s  where we both competed in competitive trail.  I fell I love with the riding areas of Grace Road/Chemainus River and I would marvel at the dedication Bruce put into trail maintenance - all volunteer.
A couple of years ago, when Bruce no longer had a horse, he would still dedicate his time to ensuring the trails were open. It pretty well broke my heart to see some of the trails get bushier and some vanish all together. So, two years ago,  with two good horses of my own, I offered Bruce to ride Sweet Georgia. Now with purpose and pleasure, over the past two years I am grateful for the time and effort Bruce puts into trail maintenance. He has a serious pair of loppers he carries on the back of the saddle - and nothing stands in this man’s way when it comes to trails. There were a couple of special trails I asked him to open up, and he did. If you rode the BCCTRA Chemainus Ride this year, you would have been on several of his re-established trails. One day I asked him to walk a trail with me up at Spruston Road. It was an old bike trail that had little use due to a couple of big windfalls. It was time to cut them out this year and so off we went, him packing the power saw and me packing the axe. Sure enough, we came to the big fir that was hung up high and as luck would have it, the saw got pinched. Undaunted by that, the fir tree was beaten to death with the axe and the power saw finally fell out. I smile when I ride by and see the tree with the axe and saw cuts. If not working on the trails from horseback, Bruce ventures out with his friends on ATV’s and ensures they are clear. My hat goes off to this quiet hard working dedicated man - I hope you are as luck as I am. Thanks Bruce.

A post note - congratulations to Bruce on his 1000 mile award this year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment