By Nicole Vaugeois
I was asked to speak about the needs of competitive trail user groups, which included input from Endurance, competitive trail and TREC. The following are some comments shared:
- We have unique usage needs for trails in that we use them frequently for training and require numerous miles of varied terrain;
- We require access to trails for training and competition as we seek permission for each mile we use in competition;
- We have experienced challenges with respect to access, particularly from private forest companies where permit fees and delays in approvals has impacted events;
- We are seeking to develop stronger working relationships with land managers so that they understand our sport, our usage patterns and see us as partners in land management;
- Our competition requires travel and overnight camping. Further enhancements to travel with horses such as pull outs, ferry knowledge about horses, signage and camp facilities are needed throughout the province. Camp facilities that are accessible and accommodating of horses are needed, particularly sites that can accommodate numerous large rigs for competitions.