Thursday, December 15, 2011
Tuesday, November 15, 2011
Friday, November 11, 2011
Saturday, July 9, 2011
Wednesday, May 18, 2011
If you don't see a LIKE button follow these directions:
ATTN: Horse Coupon Book fans!!! The "Gift of the Horse" contest is in full swing and our contestants would love your help! Do you think this is Jonathan Field's biggest fan? If you want to see this essay make it to the Semi-Finals, click "Like" when you're finished reading. If you’re new to HCB and do not see the word “Like” below, simply go to our wall first (www.Facebook.com/HorseCoupons) and click the big “Like” button at the top of the page to become a fan!
Thursday, May 5, 2011
If you can't ride at this upcoming CTR perhaps you would like to come out and volunteer? We really appreciate people with horse skills helping out!
We need 2 or 3 drag riders (last horse out to follow the trail to make sure no one is injured or lost etc.). The drag riders would have to be competent trail riders with horses capable of riding up to 40 miles but slower than race pace.
We also need P&R crews etc.
We would need a firm commitment to time available and positions. Many people have offered pending their work schedules/camping schedules etc but we can't have people backing out last minute because they are called in to work.
Volunteers would need to be available on Friday June 10 at around 2pm for a volunteer orientation to get prepared for duties. Vet checks begin at 4pm.
Please email me if you can volunteer.
Friday, April 22, 2011
The only way to confirm your spot is to send in your application with signed waiver and cheque.
Looking forward to seeing you there!
Any questions contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sunday, April 10, 2011
Tuesday, April 5, 2011
Friday, March 4, 2011
- Competitive Trail is a great sport because it focuses on the fitness and conditioning of the horse. The way we judge our horses - 60% is based on biomechanics - which Andrea supported.
- The way our horses is built can indicate a lot about their function - so structure can indicate functionality. At the same time, how our horses function over time, can also influence their structure.
- She encourages horses to keep active - use it or lose it - as muscle maintenance is vital to support our horses movement.
- She encouraged us to train our horses over varied terrain - this allows them to learn to use their body effectively, prior to competition.
- She demonstrated how forward movement is a result of a bow and sling action - initiated in the hind end. The spine, if healthy, carries the movement generated in the hind end up and then out. If there are any structural issues with the spine, which can be caused by a number of things (conformation, poor saddle, poor riding...), then the energy gets blocked, diffused into the muscles and the horse will have to compensate in other ways to move forward.
- She showed us a few images of horses conformation and indicated how the alignment of key joints in the hind and foreleg, can influence a horses movement.
- And - the fun part, she demonstrated a few of these on our audience members!
Friday, February 25, 2011
- CTR- Competitive Trail Ride (competition over long distance for placing, mileage, use of BCCTRA rule book)
- SR – Schooling ride (introductory clinic to competitive trail riding)
- PR – Pleasure ride (recreational ride with education components, mileage)
- RMW – Ride manager workshop (how to host a CTR workshop)
- INFO - Booth providing information about CTR
- AGM – Annual General Meeting
- TR - *New for 2011 - Training Rides - MAXIMUM 15 RIDERS RSVP REQUIRED FOR ALL RIDES EHES - *New for 2011 - Equine Health Educational Series - no charge for members - all others $3.00
Education series event: Biomechanics: A foundation for Injury Prevention and Optimal Performance with Dr. Andrea Sargent. Vancouver Island University – Building 250 – Room 215 Nanaimo campus from 7:00 - 8:30 pm
March 5th -
Training ride Back In The Saddle Jo Hull-Sykes - organizer 250-245-2852 email@example.com
March 16 -
Education series event No Foot – No Ride The importance of hoof health with Shane Sampson. VENUE CHANGE DUE TO STRIKE AT VIU - Now at the Broody Rooster Guesthouse and Gallery in Cedar/Yellowpoint - map at: http://www.broodyrooster.com/ Nanaimo campus from 7 - 8:30 pm Contact: 250-245-4405 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Training ride NOTE DATE CHANGE Bush Creek Crossing, Ladysmith Joanne Schneider - organizer 250-245-5627 email@example.com
Recognition and Management of Metabolic Conditions in Equine Endurance Athletes by Dr. Raegan Brendle Vancouver Island University – Building 250 – Room 210 Nanaimo campus from 7 - 8:30 pm Contact: 250-245-4405 or firstname.lastname@example.org Note if the Strike is still on (check www.viu.ca) then the event will be held at the Broody Rooster Guesthouse and Gallery at 2980 Giovando Road, Cedar (www.broodyrooster.com for map)
April 16 -
Training Ride CANCELLED AS THE FIELDS ARE TOO WET Nanaimo – Takala Ranch 5735 Takla Rd, Ladysmith Doug and Mary Carr - organizers 250-245-4864
Understanding the TPR and tips for obtaining the most accurate values by Dr. Miranda Noseck. This talk will cover how to perform a basic physical exam on your horse. It will include how to take your horse's temperature, pulse and respiratory rate. It will also cover assessing hydration status, listening to gut sounds, and palpating for a pulse. As we learn how to obtain this information, we will cover what is normal versus what is abnormal. Vancouver Island University, Nanaimo campus - 250-room 210 from 7:00 to 8:30 pm.
June 10, 11, 12
CTR and PR 123 Giddy-Up Gogo-Nanaimo CTR manager - Kerri-Lynne Wilson - 250-245-4842 mailto:email@example.com Co manager - Lisa Beeston 250-722-3443 PR manager (June 12th) Nicole Vaugeois 250-245-4405 or firstname.lastname@example.org
CTR 123 Sunset - Kelowna Myrna Thompson 250-317-8347 email@example.com
CTR 1,2 Morningstar - Parksville Nancy Gourlay 250-954-3941 firstname.lastname@example.org
CTR 123 Cariboo Plateau Joanne Macaluso 250-456-7320 email@example.com
CTR 123 Chemainus Michelle Balme 250-743-6192 firstname.lastname@example.org
CTR 123 Sasquatch Scurry Karen Eigler 250-338-6874 email@example.com
Booth at Mane Event, Chilliwack Jo-Hull-Sykes 250-245-2852 firstname.lastname@example.org
AGM 10:00 AM Oak Room - Best Western Rainbow Country Inn Chilliwack Tammy Mercer 250-335-3390 email@example.com Note that there are a series of conference calls throughout the season but due to confidentiality the number is not posted here - members can check their email for more information on dates and call in.